Teacher in Charge: Mr C. RileyRecommended Prior Learning
Reasonable success in Level 1 Science (Mechanics unit strongly encouraged), and reasonable success in Level 1 Achievement Standard Maths (eg: algebra, trigonometry, graphs) or by negotiation with the HOD.
If intending to study physics at Level 3 (Y13) then all external aspects of the course (mechanics, electricity and electromagnetism, and waves) should be studied.
In Year 12 Physics we cover the following concepts:
Practical skills and the use of graphs for the analysis of data.
• Kinematics – straight line and vector motion, relative motion
• Dynamics – force and momentum
• Circular and projectile motion
• Work, energy and power
Electricity and Electromagnetism:
• Electric Fields
• DC Circuits
Atoms and Radioactivity:
• Atomic Models
• Nuclear Reactions
• Light as a particle - reflection and refraction
• Light as a wave - reflection, refraction, diffraction and interference
This course is an important building block for anyone who is considering studying Engineering or Health Science at University.
A study guide text is provided but optional workbooks can be purchased.